Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Home Depot is Serious BusinessNine Eleven

I was filling out a job application for Home Depot online today (indeed a fitting job for a physicist-shut up hippie), when I suddenly encountered what appeared to be a complex series of questions meant to test my comprehension of the English language. Do I have a screenshot? Of course I do, kiddos. The directions for this particular section were to arrange the choices in alphabetical order:



Holy crap. I think I got that first one wrong because there was no system set up which I could use to prioritize the numbers after the dash in relation to the numbers before it. How would you answer that question? Honestly, I don't think that it's possible to correctly answer without some kind of further instructions. My Anglish are well.

This reminds me of a story that my current Physics professor told my class about our former Physics professor, easily one of the smartest individuals I have ever met. Our current professor was in a department meeting with the rest of the Physics department and asked them one of our homework questions involving a circuit in which was partially contained within a changing magnetic field (Farady's Law, blah blah blah). Two or three got it right, 10 or so missed it, and former professor abstained. His reason? The problem did not specify that the circuit was in a plane.

This blog is not in a plane (aero or otherwise).

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment