Monday, November 17, 2008

Some Stuff and a Story I Forgot

First thing is first: I am so lucky that I had taken Calculus before coming here. The teacher does her best, but some of her test questions are just crazy. I defy anyone to show me how to integrate [1/sqrt(x-1)]dx without using a u substitution, which we aren't supposed to have learned yet. I am almost certain that it cannot be done. Either way, I know I got it right (checked online immediately afterward) and she said she didn't care at all how I solved it. Fair enough.

Then my one humanities class for this semester was canceled at 2, but I had to stay on campus to go to work at 4. I ended up mostly looking at the Barry Gibb Talk Show SNL skit on Youtube and did a little work on an essay for Thursday.

Back at the room, I fell asleep until 7. Then I went to a pointless meeting about finals (oh, we're really not supposed to cram? And sleep would help? It's like the Oracle herself is here!).


Now I'm writing this blog post and need to work on a different essay for that same class.

So for the forgotten story, it seems crazy of me to have not posted it on Friday, but whatever. One of the TAs from Calculus was kind of upset at me because of how I was doing some of the problems. It wasn't that I was getting the wrong answer or losing points (no lost points=no care ever), but that he didn't like my process. He said it wouldn't stand up to the rigor of mathematics. Luckily, this is Calculus. Calculus I. Whoah. When he asked me if I was a Physics major, I told him that I was. He then went on a 5 minute rant about how frustrating it was to talk to physicists because "they all play fast and loose with the rules". The rules of math.

You guys, I play fast and loose with the rules, so watch out. It's like the wild West out here on my quizzes and tests. Will Smith, stay away.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment