Monday, January 26, 2009

This is the Con Wrap-Up Post

Stories from the Con:
1. While showing Lunar Legend Tsukihime, I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing and just turned on the English subtitles. The episode then played with English speaking and English subtitles. The funny part? THEY DIDN'T EVEN MATCH UP! Ha! Throughout the whole episode, people were complaining about it, and at the conclusion of it this girl started yelling at me about how I was ruining the integrity of the series by not playing the show with the original Japanese voice actors. Integrity? Get over yourself, dear.

2. Before showing Elfen Lied, I was made to stand outside the auditorium and card people since it was a Mature rated series (and with good reason). Only 4 or 5 people came in, all of whom were clearly over 18. Then a girl who looked like she was 16 came up to me, and the following conversation ensued:
Me: Hey, we're showing a Mature rated show in here, so I have to see your ID. Or, if you just have a student ID that would be fine too.
Her: Well, I don't go to school here. I'm still in high school, but I have my driver's license. Is that good?
Me: Yeah, that's fine.
Her: (searching through bag) Here ya go.
Me: (seeing that she's only 16) Uh, I'm sorry but I can't let you go in. You have to be 18 or older since it's got a Mature rating.
Her: Oh, okay then. (starts walking away, then turns around and gets way too close to my face and whispers into my ear creepily while touching my arm) Are you sure?
Me: Uh...yeah, sorry (turn around and walk inside, giving her the perfect opportunity to sneak in, which she failed to take).

Now, I still have not been able to decide whether this was meant to imply that sexual favors would be used to try to sway more or to imply that she was threatening me. I find both possibilities disturbing.

3. After showing the DVD with the first 4 episodes of Elfen Lied on it, I put in the next scheduled DVD a few minutes ahead of schedule. Was it my fault that the scheduling was off by a little bit? Yeah, apparently it was, as I had to endure a full minute or two of ranting from angry fans about why I should play more episodes. The ones which weren't on the DVD I had. You know, the magic ones.

In summary, three things happened:
1. I trolled a room full of anime fans.
2. I still hate teenage girls.
3. I got trolled by a few anime fans.

I got in free and spent the weekend watching anime, so I'd call that a victory overall. Oh yeah, and there was a girl dressed as a "slutty nun" playing Yu-Gi-Oh.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment