Monday, January 12, 2009

Captain's Log, Stardate: WTF

Hello class, I trust you all enjoyed the break. Now it is time to get some serious learning done. Today we will be discussing 4 very important things which I was only taught Saturday.

Lesson 1: Working for Amtrak is less stressful than running a summer fitness camp.

While I know most of you were under the impression that running a summer fitness camp is less stressful than working for Amtrak (and who wouldn't be?), this is not the case according to the stewardess (conductress? I dunno what the people on trains are called.) on one of my trains. She discussed in detail how the fitness camp had taken away all of her personal time and then went on to explain how much fun it was to travel around on trains. I'm sure you all heard her lecture, though, and I would hope that you will all go out and buy her book Choo Choo: How I Escaped Stress and Found Inner Peace. Your oral reports will be due at the end of the semester.

Lesson 2: Saturday was Brittany's birthday.

Of course we all knew the Brittany was turning () years old on Saturday, but the crazy guy at Penn Station in New York singing it repeatedly into his microphone attached to a mini-amp didn't hurt either. Brittany, we offer our congratulations and hope that the crazy guy's song made up for the lack of gifts and cake.

Lesson 3: Some Russians are very soulful.

My taxi driver back to campus was named Ivan, and man did Ivan love to sing R & B music. He tuned in (I'm 107 years old, I know) to the R & B station, cranked the volume, and sang throughout the whole trip. Normally I would make fun of something this absurd, but he was actually really good and, I'm not gonna lie, I was tapping my foot towards the end. I wanted to share one song with you that he particularly enjoyed (please, imagine a Russian man singing along; it adds to the experience).


Lesson 4: Moose Vader Roolz

This was brought to my attention by some graffiti I saw while leaving Philadelphia, and I'm not sure it requires any further explanation. Moose Vader, who apparently has a Facebook page here, does indeed rool.



-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment