Sunday, January 25, 2009

This is Not the Con Wrap-Up Post

That will be up tomorrow, as I need a bit of time to transcribe the stories from my mind onto paper (yeah, my computer screen is paper, so sue me) so as to make them as comprehensible as possible. And I'll let you in on a little secret-and trust me, considering our traffic stats, this might as well be considered secret between you and me alone-I did a little bit of trolling. But more on that tomorrow.

This post is going to be a review of 2 anime series; there will be spoilers. One of the series I was in charge of running at the Con was Lunar Legend Tsukihime. This guy Shiki Tohno finds a vampire walking around during the day and epic murders her with his puny little knife. He then wakes up back at his sister's gigantic mansion, she's the heir to the family blah blah blah. I hated every time she was on screen except for the part when I thought she was going to die.

Turns out the vampire lady is still alive and she wants his help to kill some vampires from a rival faction with his ability to see lines that destroy things; that's really all the more I can say about it, as it was pretty unclear. Basically, he cuts the lines with his knife and the thing gets destroyed (call me old fashioned, but doesn't anything get destroyed when you stab it with a knife? Whatevs.).

The characters all seemed to have split personalities, and they constantly wavered back and forth between ridiculous affection towards someone and borderline hatred. Various questions about the mechanisms of the show go unexplained, such as the lines, WTF the Church had to do with anything, the Tohno bloodline thing (a plot element which was conveniently introduced way too late in the series), and why Arcueid (who Shiki always called Aruceid-what?) had to be killed twice before finally disappearing while the other vampires disappeared after death number 1. The characters were frustratingly stupid, and were certain to keep secrets from one another which inevitably came back to get them later on in the story. Overall, though, it was mildly entertaining despite my urge to throw my laptop across the room at some of their decisions.

Wow, I was gonna review Elfen Lied too, but that review took up enough space as it is. Perhaps I'll start doing an anime feature now. That could work. I'll probably do it once a week since I do have a little bit of a life (read: I have no life other than classes) outside of watching anime, but I do watch a lot. Cool beans. No, the coolest beans. Evar.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment